Couple unpacking their possessions in their new house

Personal Property Insurance Coverage

If you have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, then you’ve probably noticed a section in your policy that refers to “Coverage C – Personal Property”. Personal Property coverage is insurance that protects your belongings in the event that they are lost or damaged in a disaster or burglary. But just exactly what is covered by this part of your policy? Do you have enough coverage? These are questions you’ll want to discuss specifically with your independent agent, but here are some thoughts to consider when reviewing your policy:

Named Perils Insurance Coverage

As a policyholder, you’ll want to make sure that you fully understand what your insurance will and will not cover when you’re signing-up for homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. Many policies are written on a “named perils” basis, meaning that the insurer will only pay for your damaged or lost property in certain instances. For example, most insurers will not cover damages or loss that occurs as the result of a flood. Therefore, if flooding is common in your residential area, you will need to discuss obtaining additional coverage with your agent to ensure that your belongings are protected.

Insurance Policy Coverage Limits

Another subject you’ll want to address in your conversations with your independent agent is limits. All insurance policies have limits, or financial maximums that your insurer is willing to pay to repair or replace your belongings. Be sure that you are aware of these limits, and how they compare to the value of your belongings. If the limits will not cover the cost to repair or replace your valuables, you may need to ask your independent agent about higher limits or additional endorsements to ensure that your belongings are fully protected.

Policy Exclusions and Endorsements

While most homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies contain Personal Property coverage, not all of your belongings are covered under this insurance alone. For instance, some homeowner’s policies will not cover collectibles or jewelry, or will only insure up to a certain amount (limit). To ensure that your belongings are fully covered, you may need to have an inland marine or valuable possessions endorsement added to your preexisting policy.

Insurance is complex, and understanding the perimeters of the property coverage included in your policy can be difficult. Talk to your independent agent about the contents of your home and how your current coverage protects these items. After all, they’re called valuables for a reason. For more insurance tips and information, log on to

Did you know that your Internet browser is out of date?

Your browser is out of date and may not be compatible with our website.
A list of the most popular web browsers can be downloaded from below.

Close This Window

By closing this window you acknowledge that your experience on this website may be degraded.